My little sister Ionna loves Nutella.
I mean loves.
I’d see her pair it with everything: a piece of bread (toasted or untoasted), a Skyflake cracker, a biscuit… but sometimes she’s just too lazy and eats it straight from the jar with a spoon.
And we all know that a tablespoon of the heavenly choco-hazelnut spread is 100 calories, so let’s just say it’s pretty unhealthy.
So when I made the whisk my best friend and decided to really start baking, I searched for Nutella treats that I could bake for my sister, and for my mom.
I saw this blog post on the Novice Chef, and I tried it out.
When my sister ate it, her eyes almost popped out. I took a bite myself and was mesmerized by how the flavors were just exploding in my mouth. It was amazeballs.
So I baked it again, and again, and again, and finally I experimented on some more ingredients that would make it more chocolatey, more banana-ey. (Is there such a word?)
I love how these muffins still give you the strong taste of banana and at the same time the chocolate melts in your mouth, leaving you with a zest of hazelnut from the Nutella.
NUTELLA CHOCOLATE BANANA SWIRLS
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 medium over-ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup Caster sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line muffin pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder until well combined. Set aside.
- In large bowl, blend banana, caster sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in egg, butter and vanilla extract. Add in the nutella.
- Slowly whisk in the flour mixture until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Top each muffin with about 1 teaspoon of Nutella and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter.
- Bake muffins for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Makes 18 muffins.
PS. Please do check out the Instagram page of my blossoming online bakeshop, its @plccebu (Pretty Little Cakes) xx
- Nutella Swirl Bread (sweetnothingsnyc.com)
- This Bread is Bananas (and Chocolate-Peanut Butter Swirl) (myownlittleplayground.com)
- Banana Muffins and a whiny baby (chefswithbabies.wordpress.com)
- Blueberry Banana Muffins (paleocvits.wordpress.com)
- Hazelnut banana bread (whisketeers.com)
- Banana Muffins (chefceaser.wordpress.com)